Friday, July 25, 2008

Search Recursion

Something funny happened today. All of us google - ummm to search. Even I was doing it. I was trying to use the "screen" utility on my test machine, so that I could start my test and log out and get back later to it. When I gave the "screen -r" command to reattach, I got the following error:

Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/0' - please check.

Some permission issue I guessed, so I thought I will search for the solution by googling. I searched by entering keywords like "screen, terminal, cannot, open" etc. etc. and clicked on the second link that came in (As as aside, which search link do you open from the search results? Should do a poll I guess :)).

I got on to that specific page and instead of getting the answer I get the following blurb:

"This is a common problem. Googling will help here"

Hmmm, scratch-scratch, I just googled didn't I? But I think instead of giving out solutions, people have actually started to say "google out and get it" nowadays. Will there come a day when all results we get be like the one above :P

Btw, a simple chmodding of the pts entry seems to help here for non-root users above..

No comments: