Thursday, April 10, 2008

USb and ME

I have a 42" LCD television which has a USB input to it. It has a pretty decent USB media player, so I can just plug in a USB device and watch images, movies and listen to music too from the same. I think its pretty neat and cool to have this feature in my LCD, much better than a clunky DVD player any day. But my current 80GB external USB hard drive is rapidly running out of space and I have to upgrade it.

But the problem is with the current state-of-the-art, 200 GB plus external drives require an external AC power source too. So its still plug and play, but with an additional plug in for the power source. I have narrowed down on a MAXTOR 500 GB external drive for about 120 odd US dollars (4740 INR). I think it is a pretty decent deal. Anyone got better suggestions? Are external power source less drives coming up on the horizon? Let know!

1 comment:

Atul said...

You are lucky that your TV plays directly from your 80G hard disk. In my case, philips dvd player hts 3545 also has a USB port but that damn thing cannot power my 80 GB hard disk. I have to use an external AC power source.
So it is not only the hard disks that are to be improved, the devices to which they are plugged in should also be improved to provide them the needed power for running.