Tuesday, April 8, 2008

FC8 and PulseAudio woes

So, I got a new laptop (Lenovo R61i) some time back and decided to install FC8 on it. Linux installations are a breeze nowadays, but still some wrinkles remain post-installation. My current woe is to get PulseAudio working seamlessly across all of my regular applications viz. mplayer, kde, flash websites etc.

First of all, it seems PulseAudio was not designed with KDE in mind, but thankfully this can be resolved by doing a:
"yum install kde-settings-pulseaudio"

This got mplayer working, but was still not able to get the audio working from flash based sites like youtube. I tried the usual remove, reinstall, sometimes-reboot trick but couldn't get audio working at all much to my chagrin.
Eventually, I got it to work by adding my current user login to proper groups (via Administration->Users And Groups). I added my current user "nikhils" to Avahi, Pulse, Pulse-* groups in the properties section.

The audio works fine via flash or mplayer for some time, but regularly comes back with an intermittent error like:
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused

Looks like this will need more time and tinkering. Will post back with my solution whenever I get it.

No comments: